Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hibiscus perking up

Starting to get a feel for what makes the hibiscus happy (I'm talking to the plants now...as dad would say, as long as they don't talk back you're fine).

I removed the drip line and now both the hibiscus and the avocado tree on the side of the house are being watered by a nozzle jet as well as hose with a small lawn spray head once or twice a week.

I really don't like the idea of watering more. The whole idea of using drip was to save water but the plants just don't do well otherwise. I'm also watering the dwarf fruit trees more...once a week with the hose and lawn nozzle. I also applied Sevin to kill whatever is causing the leaf curl. It's the worst on the lime which has not produced any fruit.

The tomato, which is in one of those crazy upside down planters, has hardened up and is doing well now. I count three yellow flowers on it so hopefully we should have some tomatoes by the time the frost comes around to kill it. For a planter I have to admit it's fairly ingenious although it looks like the plant is being tortured, upside down and all.

The miniature apple tree has, well, three miniature apples on it. I'm rooting (that was not an intentional plant pun) for the fruit to get bigger, but the plant is so short (about 14"), I'd be afraid it might get damaged if it tried to carry a full load. It is also on drip with a hose watering once or twice a week.

The avocado tree (the big one producing on the slope) has now given us 7 avocados with hopefully many more to come. I have no idea when to pick them so I'm going by size and color differentiation. They're rock hard but supposedly will ripen in a paper bag. I wish they would ripen faster and the bananas from the store slower...idea...put them next to the bananas to get the banana ethylene to hasten ripening...hmmm...

Because the tree is so large (20' ?), it's on a twice a week watering schedule (hose with sprinkler head, or hosprihead for short)...usually between 15 and 25 minutes on 'low' volume.

No comments: